Unique to her practice, Dr. Benson has a specialized background with Law Enforcement (LEOS) and First Responders, also referred to as “Police Psychology”.
Critical to this specialty is a distinctive knowledge of:
- the essential functions of public safety organizations and personnel
- working conditions unique to their respective positions
- common and unusual stressors in public safety work
- normal and abnormal responses to occupational stress and trauma
- research related to resilience and recovery in public safety personnel
- the unique aspects of confidentiality and testimonial privilege when providing services to public safety personnel and/or agencies
Dr. Benson has worked closely with critical response teams in Broward County since 2010. These trainings included collaborative efforts with SWAT implementing hostage negotiation strategies. She has also completed organized trainings and certifications in Critical Incident Stress Management and Debriefing though the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation (ICISF). She routinely conducts pre-employment and fitness-for-duty evaluations for police candidates and dispatchers, and provides post-crisis intervention, EAP counseling, and restoration of fitness. Dr. Benson is often invited to provide supplemental trainings and guest lectures to LEOS on various topics of stress management, resiliency, and interfacing with mental health in the community.
Over the past several years, Dr. Benson has worked closely with various police departments, building a collaborative relationship between law enforcement and mental health. The goal is to not only build resiliency in first responders, but also to assist in their efforts to work in the community and maintain personal safety.
Dr. Benson offers the following services specific to LEOS and other public safety personnel:
- Pre-Employment Evaluations
- Fitness-for-Duty Evaluations
- Counseling/Employee Assistant Programs (EAP)
- Restoration of Fitness
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefings
- Critical Response Trainings
- Guest lectures/trainings for LEOS
- Operational Support
- Organizational Consultation